[hpsdr] New Hermes board

ad0es ad0es at ad0es.net
Sat Jun 3 12:21:12 PDT 2017

Hi,

I guess its time for me to enter the peanut gallery:

Sell 2 variants of the board:

   1: bare board, bed-of-nail tested.
       This board would satisfy the hard-core DIY crowd.

   2: board with BGA FPGA installed, as well as all the large scale,
dense pinout chips.
       meaning the FPGA, the ADC(s), DAC and possibly 1 or 2 more. If
your bothering to
       set up the line, add  ALL the difficult parts.
       This would be ideal for those wishing to DIY it, but accepting
the reality that these
       large-scale, dense pinout chips are better left to machines
designed for the task.
       I've worked these sorts of projects commercially for the "big
boys", and they don't
       even consider building/repairing this type of board by hand. If
it doesn't work it
       goes into the trash (except for possible postmortem info, or
salvaging very expensive parts)

Probably not in scope but a high speed bus such as pciE would be
required if you want to do
DFC work with it.  1Gbit ethernet wont cut it.

Steve AD0ES