[hpsdr] New Hermes board

Helmut Oeller oeller at freenet.de
Sun Jun 4 03:27:19 PDT 2017

Hi Marc,

I really appreciate your fresh ideas concerning this thread. Although in a
hurry I'll try to respond on some points:
Absolute no dissent in necessity of 'open source SW/HW'.
Frontend is more than a LPF/BPF.
Modular architecture, in particular the separation of the RF and FPGA-CPU
part is most essential for more flexibility and finally for the economic
success.  Apache Labs cancelled the Hermes board due to the competition of
other designs and Gerd, DJ8AY a second supplier will do perhaps the same. I
think it's appropriate to discuss competitive options keeping openHPSDR
powerful.
In no aspect the successor of Hermes should be a degradation, so it has to
implement the audio-codec and the given EER/ET control interface as well.
Diversity capability will become more and more important in the
man-made-noise of urban areas.

Many thanks for Steve's, KF7O input. That information seems very helpful to
define a promising design approach.

73, Helmut, DC6NY