[hpsdr] HERMES2 Debugging

Tony Hagen prosdr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 21:17:33 PDT 2017

As Hermes2 is in design stage. I have some suggestions that will help debugging during prototype stage and also on later stage the tinkerers will be benefited.

Please implement more debug LED’s wherever possible after each respective sections/BLOCKS – this helps to visualize the board functionalities and one can debug the section when something goes wrong,
of course not at the cost of loading the respective sections – but do keep provisions.

Use zero ohm resistor to interconnect to the next section – this once again helps to power up the board section by section when one Assembles it. The zero ohm resistor can also be replaced with polyswitch if one wish to modify.
This will also help to modify the respective section for better performance – if one wish to use his own BLOCK.

Lastly, whoever is designing the PCB – I have a suggestion and request - do not use IPC STANDARD FOOTPRINT – add extra pad - length wise – so that when one assembles manually it will be easier to reach the lead/pcb pad easily.
Do take care of the thermal issue of the board, remember there are spur issue when the board reaches a temperature – quite often we ignore this while designing

73s
Tony