[hpsdr] GPSDO

K4KV k4kv at k4kv.com
Wed Mar 8 15:56:52 PST 2017

Hello,

I wanted to report back that those $12 Navman GPS modules off of Ebay
work fine.  Using

VisualGPSView, they obtained fixes after several minutes.

My board would not lock onto the signal on either of these boards, but I
do not believe it

has anything to do with the GPS modules.  I can see rapid changes in the
10Mhz signal to the Hermes

as if the loop filter values are not correct.  I had long since taken
the wires off the board so that I

could monitor the loop filter with the scope.  These modules model # end
with 041 while my original ends with 021.

I spent some time monitoring the 10Mhz accuracy on WWV using the
Spectrum view program.  Even though

the VisualGPSView said I had a GPS Fix, the clock was still not
accurate.  It took some minutes more, after the

first 'fix', then all of a sudden I saw the altitude, lat and long, move
a bit to a number I know is right.  Then

WWV was correct, with the tones within 1 Hz.

73

Glen K4KV