[hpsdr] New Hermes 2M Board.

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Mon May 29 06:51:24 PDT 2017

Great idea, George! Probably not enough poop for a true thin client server,
but it would solve a lot of the existing problems in the MAC/PHY, and can
handle literally all of the non-DSP stuff: SPI bus, digital I/O, etc. That
would substantially simplify development.

On that note, when engineering whatever the equivalent of the Bootloader
code is going to be, please use a valid, legal and RFC compliant MAC
address. One cannot use any sort of Layer 2 or 3 managed switch with the
current bootloader because it uses an illegal MAC address of
11:22:33:44:55:66.

All that said, however, it begs the question of where to draw the line. ARM
in the FPGA? COM on the board? PCIE and do nearly all of it a GPU/GPP? The
first and last approaches have been discussed a lot, I suspect. But what
about making provisions for COM Express on the board? Lots of good options
for processing power out there in the COM Express world.

Example: https://www.xes-inc.com/products/processor-mezzanines/xpedite7450/

Throw one of the I7's on there and it could be a thick client or thin
client.

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o