[hpsdr] New Hermes

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 29 14:17:11 PDT 2017

Hi all,I would love to see a new Hermes arrive after the end of the year and hopefully after my son's last College tuition payment.I have a few thoughts.#1 and most important. Remember how many times Hermes artwork was modified to eliminate spurs. Abhi did a first rate job with the artwork. I would avoid any changes to the grounding scheme or layout around the front end.2. Consider a new A/D but stick with a faster 16 bit machine. A dual A/D would be great. No performance hit on HF to pick up more bands. 3. A new FPGA means a BGA device, we want to avoid any thermal or mechanical stress on the board. A two board solution with a final bolted to a heat sink seems safer.
4. My only issue with Hermes is the warm parts. Point of use regulators are necessary but it would be good to have better heat sinking.
5. A 24-28VDC final would produce 100 watts and fairly easy to broadband up to 2 meters. ( I would be glad to share my experience in this area) This would drive tube amplifiers. A 50 volt 300 watt dual device making 100 watts at 28 volts would be unbreakable. It might be possible to go above 28 volts to get a bit more power if necessary. A good heat sink would allow any voltage operation from 12 to 50 volts depending on drive needs.
A new HPSDR project would be fun,Frank, WA1GFZ