[hpsdr] New Hermes 2M Board.

Isaac Weksler iweksler at bezeqint.net
Tue May 30 01:20:04 PDT 2017

Hi,

Excellent news. Best news since Apache took over and the HPSDR boards became much less affordable than those manufactured by TAPR. Understandably so since they have been sold non-profit as fits open project. I hope the new Hermes 2M will stay that way.

I'd like to be added to the list of interested.

Some thoughts I'd like to share.

Concerning the 2m band. I am with those who say that it's preferable to have a 300Msps ADC. And thinking about a new ADC it would be great to have it dual channel allowing diversity and pure signal stuff.

I looked into what's available to replace the currently used  LTC2208 priced at about $90:

1.      If decided to stay with 16 bit resolution, then this looks reasonable:

AD9652 - 16-bit, Dual, 310Msps, 87dBFS SFDR – priced at about $300

2.      However, if 14 bit resolution seems to be sufficient this A/D looks as a good candidate:

LTC2158-14 – 14-bit, Dual, 310Msps, 88dBFS SFDR – priced at about $200

These are of course more expensive that the LT2208 currently used (which is 1 channel 250Msps) priced at about $90.

Accordingly D/A should also be dual and with the with the matching update rate. Possibly one of these alternatives:

1.      AD9781 - 14-bit, Dual, 600Msps, Parallel/LVDS, 78dB SFDR, 0.44W Power – priced at about $21

2.      AD9787 – 14-bit, Dual, 800Msps, Parallel, 82dB SFDR, 1.05W Power – priced at about $27

Compared to $18 for currently used AD9744.

Kjell, hope this helps in your very welcome and blessed efforts.

73 Isaac 4Z1AO