[hpsdr] New Hermes board

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Wed May 31 08:50:37 PDT 2017

I'm not going to address the virtues of Altera vs Xilinx or any other FPGA's that may be available. I just want to make the point that any non-BGA package will severely limit the performance of the silicon within the package.

I'm a package signal integrity engineer at Xilinx. We go to great lengths to make sure the package has the best performance possible in terms of PDNs (power distribution networks), SSN and Crosstalk. BGA packages (as well a LGA types) have considerably better performance as compared to non-BGA types.

As mentioned in a previous e-mail in this thread, there are no non-BGA packages available for Xilinx parts in either the current generation of parts (or in the last 5 or 6 generations).

Regards,

Ray Anderson WB6TPU
Senior signal Integrity Staff Engineer
Xilinx Inc.