[hpsdr] Schematics and print layout of dual channel HPSDR's open

Steve Haynal steve at softerhardware.com
Mon Nov 6 21:39:26 PST 2017

Hi Ben,

Can you share more details regarding your 8 ADC HPSDR ideas? This is a
topic that has interested me since I once connected several synchronized
softrock radios, created several audio streams each "beamed" differently,
and then decoded all simultaneously with WSPR. The WSPR signal strengths
could then tell me from which general direction the signal arrived.

One option I've dreamed of is to repurpose an ultrasound IC such as these
from Analog devices
http://www.analog.com/en/products/application-specific/medical/ultrasound.html
as a synchronized 8 ADC HF DDC SDR. TI and others also make similar
ultrasound ICs. These also have built in LNA. Another option is to
repurpose CCD/Camera/Scanner ICs such as this
http://www.analog.com/en/products/audio-video/cameracamcorder-analog-front-ends/addi7004.html.
It should be possible to pair one of these ICs with a snickerdoodle (
http://krtkl.com/) or Z-turn (http://www.myirtech.com/list.asp?id=502) for
an inexpensive and quick >2 ADC receiver.

We are planning for more than 2 synchronized ADCs and DACs with the
Hermes-Lite. See www.hermeslite.com. Each Hermes-Lite 2 unit has a single
ADC and DAC, but we have the ability to synchronize units. One unit is
designated the master and provides a clock to the second "slave" unit. The
slave can pass this clock to other slaves in a daisy-chained fashion. Data
packets from each radio are time stamped and then combined appropriately on
the host computer.

We also have allocated LVDS pairs for radio to radio communication. This is
an alternate way to synchronize data.

We plan to do synchronized TX also as each Hermes-Lite unit has a 5W PA.

All of this is designed into the hardware so far. Firmware and software
development will start early next year. We have ~12 Hermes-Lite 2 units in
the wild (many more Hermes-Lite 1 units). We are close to finalizing the
hardware and organizing larger group buys.

The Hermes-Lite 2 is entirely open source and open hardware, without any
gray areas. You can find all files on github:
https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite2 The entire design was done
with an open source tool chain as much as possible.

To your original question, you can find schematics for the Angelia at:

https://apache-labs.com/downloadsfiles/1011_ANGELIA_PRODUCTION.pdf

73,

Steve
KF7O