[hpsdr] Hermes II

K4KV k4kv at k4kv.com
Sat Jan 20 06:30:33 PST 2018

I want to thank the Teamspeak members for taking a minute, maybe two, to
talk about

the Hermes II project!  I want more, please.

Anyway, it is taking too much time, so I finally broke down and bought a
7000DLE, which

has now been shipped.

Here is my take on the hpsdr projects:

1.  Quit focusing on how many receivers the units can do.  Two are nice,
but I cannot see anyone

effectively using 7 or more(the majority of us).

2.  Start moving towards VHF and UHF capabilities.  The chips are
available now.

3.  Too much concern about how powerful the FPGA is.  As I remember, the
mature code in the Hermes

still has somewhere around 30% left...

4.  Think about direct connection for an lcd screen, mouse, and keyboard.

5.  I want to applaud the efforts on making the xmit signal cleaner.  I
think I heard the Hermes II will have a 300Mhz 24-bit DAC.

Looking forward to the 7000DLE.  I am making an automatic system here,
using the open collector outputs to control 3 transverters and

an on-the-tower remote antenna switch.

73

Glen K4KV

ps - I am VERY proud of the developers!!!