[hpsdr] Problem with VAC and com ports following Win 10 update to 1803

Richard Grubb richard.n.grubb at comcast.net
Thu Jun 14 09:36:44 PDT 2018

Thanks Scott. You are right. Turning on Microphone access to Apps fixes
the problem. I would not have thought of that privacy setting myself as
the cause for a long time. I was not referencing the microphone as an
input, but MS must be interpreting that setting more broadly in v.1803.
I should remember to search the ANAN community for problem fixes.

While I am posting to the HPSDR list I should mention the other major
problem caused by the 1803 "upgrade" to my Ham Radio setup that I have
not seen mentioned here. All my serial "com" ports used for "CAT"
control ceased operation. This was apparently due to a bug in the
interface to the kernel mode driver, serial.sys. that prevented
communication from the top level device drivers. The device manager
claimed the com ports were working, but examining the event log for the
1803 upgrade showed the errors. MS fixed serial.sys in the update this
week. Everything did not immediately start working again however
because, somehow in the process. the com port numbering had been
scrambled and this had to be corrected manually in the Device Manager.
Thank you MS for an interesting bug chase that should have been
unnecessary.

73, Dick
W0QM, G3FNL