[hpsdr] Where do I watch for Minerva/DFC [Solved]

Isaac Weksler iweksler at bezeqint.net
Thu Jun 28 02:08:20 PDT 2018

Friends,

I joined the openHPSDR project in the beginning of 2010. I owned a Kenwood
TS-850  then but I got so excited by the new, SDR, era in HAM radio, that I
immediately decided to go for it. I purchased the hardware - then
Mercury/Magister/Penelope based - from TAPR and Hercules amp from Gerd
DJ8AY. This system - a complete SDR TRX with 100 Watts out on HF+6M - was
about $1500. All this on the "as is" basis - no warranty or support in
commercial sense. But instead we got the "open source" style support - by
the community - that has been great. I even got from TAPR a free replacement
for Metis that failed - never mind the "as is". That in my opinion has been
the real HAM and Open Source spirit. And not only in spirit but in fact SW
and HW has been completely open. Including Hermes offered by TAPR. But I
purposely went for Mercury/Penny as it kept open the perspective of
upgrading and experimenting with the system configuration (or so I thought
then).
And then Apache Labs has grabbed all this and turned it corporate. I do not
know what "TAPR NCL" license (mentioned by Bill KC9XG) means but a Hermes
based 100W output system in a nice enclosure became NON-OPEN and more than
double in price. Why? Probably "to make a reasonable profit..." quoting
Warren. And there went the Radio Amateur and Open Source spirit! Now it's
all about making money... I could go on with expressing my feelings, but the
moderator won't let me.

So I'll just say: So long openHPSDR, it was great while it lasted.

73 Isaac 4Z1AO