[hpsdr] Where do I watch for Minerva/DFC [Solved]

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Jun 28 04:56:52 PDT 2018

Given the recent discussion about the role of TAPR, Apache Labs, etc., I
thought I should jump in since I was involved in a lot of this history.
I am *not* speaking officially for TAPR in the following.

1.  TAPR views itself as a technology incubator, not a radio company.
When we provide kits or assembled products, we usually do it because
that item isn't available anywhere else.  We don't want to compete with
someone who is willing to do a commercial product.  In fact, if a
company is able to make a commercial success from an open hardware
project, that's a *good* thing!

2.  The TAPR OHL was created at the request of the original HPSDR
developers, and the HPSDR boards were the first guinea pigs for its use.
  The NCL version in particular was an attempt to walk a tightrope that
in the end didn't work as planned; we no longer recommend its use.

3.  TAPR never owned the HPSDR designs; we just provided manufacturing
and other support to the project.

4.  I won't go into specifics about the way Hermes development occurred,
or how Apache Labs got involved.  The position that Apache took with
respect to the Hermes board layout was consistent with the way
intellectual property licensing works, but was also not what TAPR had
expected.  I'll just say that the lack of common understanding resulted
from the newness of the open hardware concept and lack of clear written
agreement.  There is really no blame on anyone.  We've all learned from
that experience.

5.  As a result of that learning, TAPR's current policy is to fund
production of OHL projects only where the developers agree in writing on
some requirements in exchange for support.  Our biggest concern is not
to get stuck with inventory because someone decides to use the Gerbers
to manufacture the product in competition with us.  The up-front
production cost is a very big deal for our small organization, so we
need to protect that investment.

6.  The requirements are mainly that in exchange for support, the
developers agree to use the OHL, but not to release Gerbers or other
manufacturing documentation until after the TAPR production run is sold
out.  This protects our investment.  We strongly encourage early release
of other documentation (schematics, code, etc.).

6.  Finally, TAPR isn't a market research company.  We normally get
involved in a project when developers come to us asking for support.  If
they don't ask for help, we can't provide it.

I hope this helps clarify the situation.

73,
John
----