[hpsdr] KXPA100 Predistortion

dx at hb9emp.ch dx at hb9emp.ch
Mon Mar 12 08:08:49 PDT 2018

Dear all,

I recently got a Elecraft KXPA100 PA. The Predistortion tests were not
very nice at all. Max -40dBc at IM3. As a comparison, with a small 16W
amplifier (minikits.au, also 13.8V supply) I reach more than -60dBc.
With a SPE 2k I easily reach -50dBc. This makes me think why the KXPA100
is performing so badly. Is somebody experienced with this PA?

Any modification ideas? The TRX switching is done by PIN diodes, did
this cause any problems in relation to predistortion to somebody? I can
imagine that the decoupling between input and output is not very high
(probably somewhere about 30 dB?) I could bypass the full TRX switching
path since I use it in TX only.

Any other ideas what can cause degradation of IM? I know about saturated
ferrites. Since I also have this bad performance on low output power I
don't think this is the reason.
DC Supply is well buffered with large capacitors at the input. Even a DC
ripple reduction by factor 5 did not have any impact.

Generally spoken did somebody improve an IM in an amplifier? If so, what
was the main degradation reason?

Thanks for your comments.

73
Mischa HB9EMP