[hpsdr] Jumper setting for Alex use with Hermes

Tokio Endo endotokio at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 13:32:17 PDT 2018

I bought Alex more than 10 years ago from TAPR, and I left it on the shelf so far.

Today I would like to use Alex with Hermes.

The following is the explanation of jumper setting to use Alex with 12V instead of 13.8V:

Note: if one plans to use an external 12 volt supply to AND on using Alex, then J17 pins 1 & 3 must be closed for the transmitter. Close J21to close the 12v Bus. Finally close J18 to enable the on board 12v Regulator which will supply Alex directly.

This is unclear for me since I’m not Anglophone. With the help of schematic of Hermes, I understand as follows;

J17: 1 and 3 closed. Is 2 also closed?

J12: 1 and 2 closed
J18: 1 and 2 closed

U18, 13.8V to 12V regulator, has the same voltage for input and output, is that right?

Tokio
JA1CCA