[hpsdr] ray of hope

Isaac Weksler iweksler at bezeqint.net
Sun Nov 25 02:44:35 PST 2018

I don't have much to add to Marc's comprehensive reply. I own an Odyssey-2 transceiver for about a year. My experience with it is quite positive. A superb piece of hardware for a very reasonable price. In my opinion - this is the real Hermes follower in Open HPSDR spirit come alive (without much talk and pomp).  David Fainitski has designed and produced  a state of the art single board SDR transceiver. It is compatible with Angelia. David actually ported Angelia's firmware. The last version of the firmware provides 8 3.5v digital IO lines. I built a small ULN2803 based board to convert them to OC lines to control my Hercules amp and it works great.
The 1 watt output from Odyssey proved to be too high for Hercules so I had to put a 6 DB attenuator.
Connectivity wise David provides 2 versions of FW: New protocol (1Gbs) and Old protocol (100Mbs). The FPGA actually allows 2 slots for both versions to reside in it, it can be switched by the buttons of Yaesu mic that goes into a j45 connector on the front panel of the board. I used both Thetis and PowerSDR for operating Odyssey and got excellent results with both. Unfortunately Thetis - even v2.6.0 - is still buggy, so currently I'm using PowerSDR PS MRX v3.4.9.
The transceiver has an OLED display operated by a microcontroller. Currently it displays the FW version and the IP address of the board.
An additional FPGA slot contains bootloader. Current version of the bootloader allows the FW to be programmed by a small Python app via Ethernet.

Everything is completely open source (https://groups.io/g/ody-sdr/topic/odyssey_2_now_is_fully_opened/22673568?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,22673568 ) and is available from Github. All questions, problems and help requests are answered by David usually within 24 hours. David's Odyssey -2 forum is where you can find out how to purchase a fully assembled and tested transceiver https://groups.io/g/ody-sdr/topics .

As can be seen from the technical data published the is competitive (if not superior) to Apache Lab's boards and is less than half in price. RedPitaya is more than 50% more expensive and is inferior in many respects. Anyway, it's not a ready-to-use SDR transceiver. And both Apache and Pitaya hardware is hermetically closed.

Welcome are any questions on this topic. I'll do my best to provide answers.

73 Isaac 4Z1AO