[hpsdr] Penelope-PennyWhistle initial operation

AA8K73 GMail aa8k73 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 20:19:31 PDT 2019

The lust for high power has called me and I'm connecting my
PennyWhistle to my Penelope for the first time.  I not seeing
gain out from PennyWhistle.

The Penelope is an original TAPR.  I made the T2 modification to
rotate the output transformer.  When I put the Penelope output
into a dummy load, and PowerSDR Tune set to 100, I see 9.5 volts
peak-to-peak across the 53 ohms.

1.  Is this normal output for the Penelope?

When I put PennyWhistle on Penelope, the voltage to the dummy
load is 3 volts peak-to-peak.  I even manually grounded the
PennyWhistle bias control in case there was a problem with
Penelope's PTT-out.  PennyWhistle's 13.6 volt power increases
about 1 ampere when the bias control is grounded.

Any hints for troubleshooting?

Mike - AA8K

Metis 3.0
Mercury 3.4
Mercury/2 3.4
Penny(Lane) 1.8
PowerSDR OpehHPSDR mRX PS v3.3.8 (6/9/16)