[hpsdr] NVIDIA Jetson Nano SBC - YouTube video

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Mon Apr 29 06:13:12 PDT 2019

Scott

Apart from the cost advantages that Shirley mentions, as far as I’m concerned the main advantage is relief from the tyranny of Microsoft. Any boards/SBCs which can run a version of Linux can run linhpsdr.

I use linhpsdr from John Melton exclusively to control my HPSDR Atlas kit. It runs very well on my 4-core 2.4GHz Intel board but a Raspberry Pi 3B+ struggles even at 9600. I had audio reports which likened my voice to that of a Darlek speaking under water!

I have a Jetson TK1 which I bought when they were first announced and there was a flurry of interest in the possible use of the (192) CUDA cores. However, unless I’ve missed a thread, there was never any development effort in that direction and the TK1 has languished on the shelf apart from a few months running BOINC/SETI at home which I had a hard time building for it from sources. The supply of suitable data sets dried up and that died too.

The Jetson Nano looks like a decent unit but here again, unless there is some development effort from those who have far greater knowledge than I do, the CUDA cores are likely to be a GoFaster bolt-on which will simply draw lots of current while not actually contributing anything useful.

Anybody out there know of any developments using CUDA cores for SDR? I imagine the effort required to do the functional decomposition to spread the processing over a number of cores would be immense. Would there be any advantage to such parallel processing as far as SDR was concerned? I haven’t seen any discussion on this subject on this reflector.

Just my 2 cents worth hoping to stimulate some discussion...

Cheers & 73

Chris G4NUX

(Like Sid Boyce a Microsoft free zone though some of my computing tasks are performed on Apple kit)