[hpsdr] FreeDV with hpsdrmrx

Helmut Oeller dc6ny at gmx.de
Sun Feb 17 13:24:11 PST 2019

Hi Michael,

FreeDV is a nice playground for experimenters. Since the 'early days' of
FreeDV we tested all available variants together with different HPSDR
setups, Atlas based and newer ones. All are working in the same manner and
you can use LSB as well as USB.

FreeDV consists of two parts, the codec 2 and different modems, using
different modulations and bandwidths. That's the reason for different modes.
Our experience is that FreeDV can't beat SSB yet. At VHF/UHF applications
the BER is much smaller and communication more reliable than at HF work via
the ionosphere.

Nevertheless FreeDV is worth to get more attention.

73, Helmut, DC6NY