[hpsdr] HERMES (16bit ) LAN not working

Walter Schellenberg w.r.schellenberg at bluewin.ch
Mon Nov 4 08:36:42 PST 2019

Hi all,

I am trying to load Protocol 2 on a Hermes board that I have not used for a long time. Since I do not know the current status of the board (PowerSDR does not find it, it must have worked once, however), I tried to do this using HPSDRBootloader. But the Bootloader does not find the board.

I followed the instructions given here https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333:

1.  I downloaded and installed WinPCAP and HPSDRBootloader.

2.  I connected HERMES to my PC (Windows 7 pro); set Jumper J12, then powered up the board.

     >  HERMES:  On the LAN connector the green LED at the left is on, the one at the right flashes at irregular intervals, then settles to a flash about every 3 seconds.

     >  HERMES:  The following LEDs are fully on:  Status (front), 3.3V (front), LEDs 23, 25-28. All others are off.

2.  On the Windows "Control Panel" > "Network and Sharing Center" a second ethernet port is shown as "Unidentified LAN".

     It is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically". I disabled the "Automatic metric" and set it to 1.

3.  Then I start the Bootloader as an administrator. The dot on the right hand bottom corner of the Bootloader window is green.

4.  I set the "Interface" to the "Unidentified LAN".

5.  "Test for Bootloader" does not find the board; at the bottom appears the message "Check that there is a jumper on J1 for Metis"

6.  Ignoring this, and trying to program Hermes_Protocol_2_v10.3.rbf does not work.

7.  I also tried the following:

     -  no jumper J12

     -  assign a fixed IP address to "Unidentified LAN", set metric to 1

     -  run HPSDRProgrammer_V2_nopcap.exe as an administrator

     >  the dot in the right hand bottom corner of the Programmer window is red

     >  "Discover" does not find the board.

8.  I did all the above again with the WLAN on the PC deactivated:  the results are the same.

9.  I tested the LAN port on my PC with another device:  it worked.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I overlooking something, or is there only one conclusion: dead board ?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

73, Walter HB9AJG