[hpsdr] Hermes protocol 2 Firmware.

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 10:04:48 PST 2020

Kjell,

Please see below...

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:05 PM Kjell Karlsen <la2ni at online.no> wrote:

> So I was not aware that there was a separate firmware developing team that
> was working with this.

There is not a "separate firmware team". Indeed, to my knowledge there has
never been a "firmware team" per se. Just a couple of guys like Phil and
Dave, and now Rick, who have, from time to time, decided to help out, as a
labor of love, to improve the breed.

> Anyway, all of the updates should be sent to the same place and not spread
> all over the net.

With respect to Protocol 2, they are essentially in the same place. The
problem, and challenge, is that when the updates do come, they come fast
and furious and instant feedback on their performance is needed. The folks
who have, of late, become the primary developers on Thetis and Protocol 2
firmware, Richie, MW0LGE, and Rick, N1GP, respectively, prefer, as do I, to
communicate via a forum venue. Thus most of the discourse on Thetis and P2
have been on the Apache Forum. It is worth noting that Laurence continues
to contribute code for the future Andromeda project, and Doug continues to
do the code merges for the "official" releases.

People can, of course, continue to choose to use the communications venue
that they prefer. This list has very little traffic. The old Yahoo Group is
now in approximately the same place. I have no idea what is going on with
the new groups.io group because at this point I have chosen to expend most
of my effort and focus on the forum.

> I have tested all versions of Hermes 16 bit firmware for protocol 2 and
> all works in RX mode. I can run 1,5 Mhz sampling with good results but in
> TX there are no sign of signals from the FPGA to the DAC. When I mentioned
> this for Phil, he was sure it is due to the FPGA speed in my Hermes boards.
> I do not think I am the only one that has this problem but I have not seen
> anyone mention this.

I have not seen anyone else mention this either, which may mean you are a
statistical outlier, or perhaps your board was in fact built with a
different speed grade FPGA. There are a many others who do have it running
on the 16-bit Hermes platform

> Can you help me to be able to get the mails from Apache labs forum? I can
> not log into it using what I believe is my user name and password.

I have fixed your account (I think) and will send you an off list email.

73,

Scott