[hpsdr] TAPR Hermes

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Thu Jan 9 12:04:09 PST 2020

Hi Bob.

I have tested 3 samples of the original TAPR Hermes and the only problem I
have seen is a too high voltage drop from U23 to U19, most of it in L22, a
ferrite bead. This gives a bit too low voltage on the 3.3VA on U13 and
also 1.2V is a bit low. By just shorting from the output from U23 to the
input of U16 removes the voltage drop and improves the PHY transfer speed
at 1GHz.

It should not be necessary to use an external 5V supply. The switch mode
5V supply runs warm but I have never heard about any problems with it.

F3 has a voltage drop so it can be replaced by a normal 2A fuse OR just
shorted. I see no need for it as all the series regulators have current
foldback.

Concerning U23, LT1529 it should not be necessary to do anything to get
better cooling. I think it is more important to have good air flow around
the hole Hermes board, may be using a small fan running at low speed. I
also use to place a copper cooler meant for RAM on top of the ADC and PHY
chips.

I can not help with the problem with your i7 PC. I think I had something
similar once with Windows10 Pro and Thetis on an Intel NUC i7 but I do not
remember what I did to get it working. I may have destroyed the fault, hi!

All the 3 Hermes boards I have tested runs at 384 KHz sampling rate + Wide
Band.

Good luck!

73, Kjell, LA2NI

På Tue, 07 Jan 2020 14:46:56 +0100, skrev Bob Stricklin

Sendt med Operas e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/mail/