[hpsdr] Xilinx Zynq Ultrascale+ Includes RFSoC

Laurence Barker laurence at nicklebyhouse.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 01:34:09 PDT 2020

Hi John

They don't fall over themselves to say how much those RFSoC devices cost. As
far as I know, it's quite a lot. My experiment published at SDRA2020 has a
ZU3EG ultrascale+ Zynq, and that's on a board that sells for $250 (and some
say as a loss leader). and the smallest RFSoC is 4 times bigger in gate
count, and very possibly 4 times the die area so much more expensive. They
seem to be pitched as high-end devices.

The clock rate is about 32x the 122.88MHz we use for HF SDR. Increased
averaging would have added about 2.5 bits resolution (you gain one bit per
4x sample rate change) so the 12 bit ADC devices would be up to around 14.5
bits equivalent performance. I've no idea what the noise levels are like.

So I have been very interested in these devices, but not managed to get my
fingers on one yet!

Laurence Barker G8NJJ

laurence at nicklebyhouse.co.uk