[hpsdr] Ancient device.

Chris Smith chris at wealdencottage.co.uk
Mon May 4 11:26:57 PDT 2020

Hi All

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my query.

Hans-Petter LA9UI identified it as a 1N21 as did Doug W6DSR and Terry N4TLF. Terry had memory of changing these devices after lightning strikes on the microwave receivers on the CBS affiliate in Washington D.C.

Lee K9WRU didn’t know what it was but was sure he had at least one in his junk box.

Michael W9AAM thought it might be a 1N34.

The link Hans-Petter sent was to a museum site which had a photo of the device which matched my memory of it.

So it was either a Germanium or Silicon point-contact diode used in microwave mixers/detectors for radar/microwave receivers in all probability.

I may now be able to sleep at night now!

Thanks again.

73 Chris G4NUX