[hpsdr] Run Hermes w/OpenPowerHPSSDR and Linux??

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Thu Aug 26 05:31:36 PDT 2021

John,

Well, Hermes can be run using Kiss Konsole on Linux or Mac Darwin.  Also
Metis with Penny and Mercury.  We did that a few years back, roughly when
Metis came out.  Don't expect the concept to work for Ozy or Metis without
significant code rework. A special version of the libusb0 driver was used on
Windows for these.  Its features and API don't track with what is currently
available, and there are differences windows/linux/mac on the USB drivers.

Metis/Hermes/Angelia/Orion all use the computer OS's native Ethernet stack,
unlike the USB interfaces of Ozy and Magister.

That is using Mono most likely at that time, but now MS provides a full .Net
Framework on Linux.  That doesn't mean 'C runtime libraries', though,
likely.

It would be harder for PowerSDR, since there is a lot of low-level C code
that is used, and that would require a C runtime library, which I'm not sure
exists to be linked to be used on Linux.

73,
George K9TRV