[hpsdr] Hermes board Ethernet Port number

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Sun Feb 20 07:09:21 PST 2022

Ingolf,

The difference is that BROADCAST PACKETS are not sent off the subnet, without extraordinary action being taken by the user.  OpenHPSDR software uses a broadcast packet from the PC to 'ping' all the available OpenHPSDR Ethernet devices (Metis and Hermes and others such as Angelia and Orion, I suspect) that are on the subnet.  Those devices are what can be used from regular OpenHPSDR software.

Why port 1024? It's a publicly available (not publicly/permanently assigned) port.

That's why.  Everything else is 'choices made in the distant past, over a decade ago, now'.  All so that all the tools like the bootloader could find and load firmware onto boards, and the software could discover what devices are available at what IP addresses.

Really, the KISS Konsole code shows you exactly how discovery works.  It's all laid bare right there.  Using that, you (and in fact anyone) are of course free to implement any improvements you want to make and contribute them back to the community.

73,
George K9TRV