[hpsdr] Questions re: interfacing HPSDR hardware and OpenHPSDRmrx compute4r

Jim Sanford wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org
Thu Dec 28 09:45:16 PST 2023

All:

First, I wish everyone happy holidays, and wish a prosperous New Year
for All.

I have been using HPSDR and the latest (as far as I know) software for
some years, with great success.

Over the last several years, with a LOT of help from several people, I
have successfully virtualized a second HPSDR.  This will go out in a
building at the tower, which is 350 feet away from the shack, with the
only connection between the radio and computer being fiber, and
/possibly/ one pair to provide contact closure for CW keying from the
WinKeyer Mini, which has to be close to the computer and paddle.  (I'm
told that Atlas-based systems don't support CW keying like PTT over a
serial port, but haven't yet verified.)

I would like to be able to operate this setup remotely, ie /outside/ of
my LAN.  I know how to do port forwarding through my router, and the
radio has a fixed IP address, so this is do-able. The question is, I
don't know /which/ and how many ports to forward.

The next question would be, how do I direct the OpenHPSDRmrx software to
a given address or domain?  In my experience, I turn the radio on, and
then the software, the software finds it, all in background.  Is there a
way for me to direct it, and if so, how?

Kind of related, I would also like to be able to run multiple instances
of the software on one computer, each pointing to a different radio.  Is
this even possible?  If so, how do I tell each instance where to find
its radio?

If anyone can explain this or point me to documentation which explains
it, I would be most grateful.

Thanks, very 73, and Happy New Year,

Jim

wb4gcs at amsat.org