[hpsdr] PureSignal for HPSDR/Penelope/Mercury

Michael Carey michaelcarey at internode.on.net
Sun May 28 01:57:03 PDT 2023

Hi Everybody,

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before... but is it possible
to use PureSignal on legacy HPSDR hardware?

I picked up a pre-loved HPSDR at a buy & sell weekend in late 2018
(Atlas, Metis, Penelope, Mercury, Excalibur, LPU and case). Firmware;
Metis 3.0, Mercury 3.4, Penelope 1.8.

I'm using the setup with a Codan 4404 400W HF amplifier with great
on-air reports. I tend to limit most activity to the medium power
setting on the 4404 (100W PEP). Certainly not as convenient as using my
Icom IC-7100 but it is a LOT more fun!

More recently I've been playing around with FreeDV and thought that
pre-distortion would help squeeze every Watt out of the amplifier with
the high duty cycle FreeDV modem transmissions, but I have noticed that
Disable Pure Signal is checked in Hardware Config and cannot be unchecked.

I understand that this is all legacy hardware but I'm wondering if using
PureSignal is possible.

73

Michael
VK5LN