[hpsdr] strange SWR issues

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Nov 24 05:59:48 PST 2023

Hi Ram -

For what it's worth, I have an external switchable bandpass filter we
used when running multiple bands at the Field Day exercise.  It's rate
for 100W and normally is just fine.  But two separate times when set to
10M and keyed by mistake with no antenna, the high voltage caps in the
tuning circuit blew.  There was no visible damage but the caps were no
longer caps.

My point is that at 10M even short transmission into bad SWR could
generate high voltage that could pop a cap or relay contact, without
leaving external sign of burning.  So it would be good to check those
components if you can.

73,
John
----