[hpsdr] Kicad

Eric Blossom eb at comsec.com
Mon Apr 3 10:54:54 PDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 11:05:47AM -0400, Philip Covington wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> See answers below:
>
> >   3.. Is there a more detailed  explanation of how to create multiple
> > schematics and  pass global signals between them? Do I have to run wires to
> > the global labels or can I just refer to them on each different page?
> > I'm sure there will be more questions as I move forward but these are the
> > main ones at the moment.
>
> Lately, I avoid multiple sheets in Kicad because it is a nightmare
> keeping it straight after you have been away from it a while.  If you
> use multiple sheets you need to place hierarchical symbols and then
> place glabel ports to the symbol (as I recall)... otherwise like named
> glabels on different sheets do not get connected because a sheet
> number is appended to them.

[Not trying to start a war, just posting my observations from trying
 both kicad and gschem...]

For me the "deal killer" with kicad is that it has no way to handle
multiple instantiations of subsheets.  As a result I'm using gschem
for some stuff I'm working on.  gschem isn't particularly pretty, and
there are some things I'd like to fix in the UI, but it has a very
active user/developer community, mailing list, and code that's easy to
get to do what you want (modulo knowing scheme ;))

Kicad does handle multiple heterogeneous sub-components per package
much better than gschem currently does.  For me, the lack of fully
general support for subsheets was the deciding factor.

Eric