[hpsdr] [FPGA_USB] Review/Comments FPGA_USB Board - April 5, 2006

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Fri Apr 7 12:41:07 PDT 2006

>> I don't think you'll need it.  The earliest USRP prototypes had it,
>> but we never used it, and dropped it from the design.  The current
>> USRP FX2 firmware is ~6KB.
>
> I agree.  I can't imagine needing any more than the 16 kB.  Then
> there's the fun of making sure the external RAM is initialized
> correctly when using SDCC.

Yep. Keep it simple.  If some application comes along that NEEDS the
RAM, another board can be created.  My experience indicates that
everyone always tries to generalize the solution so it will be a
"standard design" but the customer always requires something custom and
the design gets re-spun.  Look at how many "universal" PC104 CPU boards
there are, how many "universal" widgets there are, and how many people
are employed designing more :-)

73,

Lyle KK7P