[hpsdr] [FPGA_USB] Review/Comments FPGA_USB Board - April 5, 2006

H. Gruchow horst at needles.de
Mon Apr 10 22:02:51 PDT 2006

Hi Eric,

I envy you US folks for your fantastic electronics parts sources like Digikey or Mouser.
Here in Germany if we want to buy a more specialized part we cannot even buy from the
distributor because they do not sell small quantities and only sell to the industry.
Just a short story: I wanted to buy two TOKO triple helix filters recently. The official
distributor made me an offer for a min. qty. of 100 pieces even though I told them that I
would only need two and that these are for a ham radio project. No, not possible. That's
common german service. In my company we would have given them as free samples!!! Now I
have found a source in the UK where they sell the filters to me (on special order from
Japan without extra charges).
The distributors here do not seem to have realized yet that we have arrived in 'global
village'. If I would be an electronics purchasing guy I most probably would never contact
this particular distributor again because of the lousy service.

Eric, I am still considering to show up at Friedrichshafen but most probably I will have a
business trip to India around that date (June 23 to 25, 2006). On the other side it would
be a nice occasion to ride down to F'hafen on my motorcycle. I will give you short notice
if I'm coming. By the way, the D44 kit has not yet arrived as per today. I do not know how
Tony makes it but his kits usually arrive within two or three days after shipping.

So, this now is my posting for today (April 11, 2006). Now let's see what else is coming up.

73
Horst
DL6KBF