[hpsdr] hpsdr Digest, Vol 1, Issue 31

Larry Gadallah lgadallah at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 13:40:25 PDT 2006

On 3/29/06, hpsdr-request at hpsdr.org <hpsdr-request at hpsdr.org> wrote:

> Message: 11
> Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:08:10 -0500
> From: "Eric Ellison" <ecellison at comcast.net>
> Subject: [hpsdr] Pinging Lurkers
> To: "'High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List'"
>         <hpsdr at hpsdr.org>
>
> Lurkers
>

> Please report in! Lurkers are people too! Are we doing OK? What would you
> like to see here? Are we stepping on toes? Watcher think?
>

> Eric

Like some other lurkers who have spoken up, I'm excited to contribute as
best I can, which at the moment probably amounts to making sure purchase
quotas are met :-). My biggest concern has been making sure I don't miss the
call for orders (as I have a number of times with the Softrock 40 project
:-( ).

I'm quite interested in what can be done in the non-PC based software front
(i.e. Linux, OS X, etc.). My hope is that this will evolve into the
generation past the SDR-1000 (with appropriate kudos to Mr. Youngblood).

I don't know if anyone has addressed this, but to me the heart of the system
will be the ADC, and as time passes the performance of the ADC devices will
get better and better. I apologize if this is a dumb question, but has
anyone done some crystal-ball gazing to verify that everything (i.e. buses,
data widths, clock rates) will work with, for example, a future 250 MSPS
20-bit ADC rather than a 130 MSPS 16-bit? Having said that, the project
seems to be well ensconced in the hands of a set of veritable hardware
geniuses  :-). Thanks Phil, Eric, Lyle, et al.

Larry Gadallah, VE6VQ/W7
lgadallah AT gmail DOT com