[hpsdr] Tiny Tantalums

KD5NWA kd5nwa at cox.net
Thu Apr 27 09:35:06 PDT 2006

Do the SMT first, then install the through hole components.

At 12:38 AM 4/27/2006, you wrote:

>Good deal.  Ah the joys of trying to install surface mount parts in the
>near vicinity of tall interfering thru holes parts ... went thru that on
>some of Tony's early SoftRocks.  These days he tries to keep all the surf
>mount stuff on one side and the thru hole on the other.   Probably too late
>in the cycle to try and do that for Atlas and not worth the hassle -- just
>put it together in the right order and all is well.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Bill
>

>At 12:17 AM 4/27/2006, Christopher T. Day wrote:
> >***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****

> >So, the 10uF 16V 3216 case ‘A’ tantalum capacitors arrived today. They fit
> >on the existing pads just fine. However, I think I would rather strongly
> >recommend against installing them _after_ all the connectors are in place
> >­ J especially if you’re repairing a pulled ground pad at the same time.
> >No shorts and the ohm meter kicks down on each voltage at J20 => there’s
> >some sort of large new capacitance on all the lines. LEDs still light and
> >nothing explodes ­ I think I now have a fully complete Atlas board!
> >

> >             Chris ­ AE6VK

Cecil Bayona
KD5NWA
www.qrpradio.com

I fail to see why doing the same thing over and
over and getting the same results every time is
insanity: I've almost proved it isn't; only a few
more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...