[hpsdr] MDS and relatet architectures

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Mon Aug 14 00:10:24 PDT 2006

In principle, this is correct. There is no useful low noise ,high IP3 and
variable gain discrete ciruit know to do this. I would suggest to use a low
noise high IP3 GaAs amp, if necessary in pus-pull and  put an GaAs binary  coded
step attenuator ahead of this stage with 40 dB range and 0.2 dB minimum  loss
in 1 dB steps , connected to the main AGC, being activated after 50dB AGC  of
the IF AGC. This does NOT eliminate an high IP3 first mixer , second preamp
and second mixere. A similar system was implemented in the R&S ESH3   (10Khz to
30 MHz )and ESVP (20 MHz to 1300MHz )  test and measurement  receivers, using
a relay based attenuator. The ESH3 did not have a preamp, the  ESVP did have
one.

The R&S XK2100L I am using has an optional preamplifier, which so far i  have
only needed above 21 MHz....

73 de Ulrich, N1UL

In a message dated 8/13/2006 9:02:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,