[hpsdr] MDS and relatet architectures

k3bu at optonline.net k3bu at optonline.net
Mon Aug 14 10:07:40 PDT 2006

To add to the picture of super front end:
1. In case if there is a problem controlling the gain of RF preamp, the step and programmable attenuator should be used on the front as outlined by N1UL.
2. Use the bandpass filters. They could be shared with TX in the transceiver arrangement, switchable/selectable when needed.
This is important in Multi-Multi station setup, where strong local signals (kW on the next table/antenna) from other bands are source of overload.
3. Use of tunable band filters on the front and behind of RF preamp. Hi-Q circuits or variation of Q multiplier/notch. Selectable if needed.
They are needed especially on low bands 40/80/160, when very strong signals within the band are present and one is digging for weak ones in close proximity.
4. RF preamp switchable in/out. In case signal levels are sufficient (high gain antennas) switch it out to improve IP3. Have items 1, 2, 3, available as needed.
5. AGC continuously adjustable - time constant (attack, release) and gain (DSP derived?).
6. High level mixer with clean injection signal followed by selectable Xtal filters - steep skirted and/or low ringing banks. Option to take the wide band or filtered bandwidth for bandscope/waterfall or filtered signals.
7. Wonderful world of I-Q processing and controlling the above.
Unless we have super overload mixer that can tolerate and eliminate the above, the preamp and filtering use if needed is highly desirable and should beat anything out there. Right now we have to use variations of outboard gadgets. Incorporating them into the RX front end design and be able to control switching and settings as needed by various antennas and situations would make the ride ultimate and not available presently in any of the rigs AFAIK.
Yuri Blanarovich, K3BU, VE3BMV