[hpsdr] Project Odyssey

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Wed Aug 16 05:07:40 PDT 2006

In Homer's Odyssey,  our intrepid hero  Ulysses has an interesting
journey in this early classic.  Project Odyssey was born at the Johnson
Space Center during a design meeting for experiments we hope to be
include on SUITSAT-2.  SUITAT-2's journey will be (to my mind) at least
as interesting and magical as that undertaken by Ulysses.   In
addition,  we think that what we are doing for this project will enable
low power, hand-held software defined radio objects to be built.  This
should enable you to take battery operated journey's with your SDR as
well.  The guts of the RF/SDR is QSD, QSE, and dsPIC33.   Joe, N9WXU and
Steve, N7HPR both work at Microchip and have been generous with their
time and talents.  Joe is building both hardware and code to make a very
interesting integrated housekeeping unit (IHU) for this project.  IHU is
"space speak" for on board control computer.  Lou McFadin, W5DID,  long
time AMSAT contributor and board of directors member has been in the
manned space program as a professional at JSC for 30 years or more
before he retired.  For AMSAT,  he has done many projects.  In
particular,  he has been instrumental in getting amateur radio on manned
space missions from the first with Owen Garriot, W5LFL, all the way
through to the international space station.  Lou and Steve and a few
others built the electronics for SUITSAT in a "few days" and got it
flown.  Keith Curtis, also of Microchip, is a power systems expert.  He
and Lou are designing an interesting power system for AMSAT that will
allow the use of myriad battery types and charging sources, not limited
to but including solar panels as a source and Ultracapacitors, Nicad,
NiMH, and Li-Ion batteries as energy storage devices.  The boost/buck
system for matching cells to the main electrical bus and control of
individual cells in a "battery pack" will greatly optimize battery
charging and use.   Expect to be able to mine Odyssey for all sorts of
neat applications including everything from balloon and satellite
packages to FM repeaters!

Odyssey is not on the main HPSDR banner yet,  but it has a few words and
a page in the Wiki.  Expect that to be quite dynamic.  Our delivery
schedule for SUITSAT-2 demands that we move quickly so expect action.

Bob
N4HY

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat.
You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los
Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly
the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there.
The only difference is that there is no cat." - Einstein