[hpsdr] Parallel port replacement - help needed

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 07:08:33 PDT 2006

Hi Phil,

There is no need to transfer the parallel port data through the two
spare endpoints.  This will keep us from being able to quad buffer the
endpoints which may be needed when we finally get rid of the BAD Xylo
influence on the OZY.  We can use EP0 to control the parallel port
through control transfers using vendor commands.  This is a much
cleaner way of doing it since we do not need to transfer 512 byte
packets just to control an 8 bit parallel port.

As a matter of fact, doing it through control transfers will allow us
to pretty much treat it like a real parallel port from the PC side of
things. The parallel port code in PowerSDR can be basically used AS
IS.. instead of writing to the PortIO dll we will just send a vendor
command to EP0.

73 de Phil N8VB