[hpsdr] Simplified Phoenix Diagram Rev 4

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Tue Aug 8 08:08:18 PDT 2006

>Hi Ray and all others,

>Iam new to the project, and things look nice.

>I prefer the second scheme. Because the Janus board does the AD
conversion; make use and keep to the building block concept.

>The mercury board contains the ISD and QSE why are these 2 functions
combined on one board? Is it maybe a better idea to make a board ISD and
QSE board?

>73 Johan PA3GSB

Johan-

Thanks for the comments.

The proposed board (Phoenix) was conceived to contain both the RX and TX
components to provide a simpler, integrated  'all-in-one' HF alternative
to the Horton board (RX), the Casmir board (TX) or the Mercury board
(also a RX).  These other designs I've just listed all have special
attributes that make them desirable for certain purposes that Phoenix
might not be the right fit for. On the flip side, the integrated Phoenix
design will be more appropriate for other applications.

This is one of the nice things about the modular HPSDR concept,
individual users can mix and match modular building blocks to construct
a customized system to their liking. If a user doesn't find a board
designed  to do what they need, then it is a golden opportunity to
either modify an existing design or create something entirely new.

73s de Ray  WB6TPU