[hpsdr] Flux sources?

Don AE5K don at ae5k.us
Thu Aug 17 10:45:53 PDT 2006

Philip Covington wrote:

> On the subject of flux:  The best advise I can give is to throw away
> your rosin based flux and solder.  Get a gallon of  Kester 2331-ZX
> Water Soluble Soldering Flux and some 0.015" Kester "331" Organic
> Water Soluble Flux core solder (63/37).
>
> Flux:
> <http://www.philcovington.com/HPSDR/TOOLS/flux.JPG>
>
> Solder:
> <http://www.philcovington.com/HPSDR/TOOLS/solder.JPG>
>
> Some people laugh when they see the gallon of flux (comments like: you
> have 20 years supply there).  I laugh at those people when I hear
> about them pulling up pads and traces with their solder wick.
> Obviously they don't know that they are not using enough flux.
>
> The water soluble stuff literally cleans up with running water.  No
> scrubbing, no smelly chemicals...  Try it - you'll like it..

OK, I'm one of those who asked if you had enough ;-)  but you've
convinced me.  WHERE did you buy your gallon?  I don't see it at either
Digi-Key or Mouser, so if you have a source suggestion, let's hear it.

Maybe I should put some of this info on the wiki FAQ too to help build
our knowledge pool.

Also source and details on the cheap syringes too.  I've never been
"into" syringes except some years ago when I had a bunch of dogs that I
gave shots to.

The gallon of flux is too much for me so I plan to divvy it out to other
ham builders in the 4SQRP group sometime when I meet with them again.

Thanks,
Don AE5K