[hpsdr] I didn't think it would happen again "PING"

Eric Ellison ecellison at comcast.net
Fri Aug 18 19:49:55 PDT 2006

Ross

I am called a Network Administrator. Generally I have become a 'pair of
hands' in the past 3 years as the company I work for has centralized
resources in a Data Center. Basically a site IT administrator for about 200
folks in a South Atlanta location. I have 6 local 2003 HP servers down from
13 a few years ago. I pretty much built the network when we were a small
'autonomous' company, but were taken over 5 years ago by 'larger' more
inefficient company, and the excitement of creatively building resources on
my own went out of it as they took it away. Also Sarbanes-Oxley and other
paperwork requirements add to the boredom.

I am a chemist biologist by formal training. I spent 5 years in the
laboratory, and 22 years in the field doing Agricultural research and market
development. I expectedly got laid off about 18 years ago. Thouroughly LOVED
that profession, but was getting burned out and decided to take a hefty pay
cut and become an electronics instrument technician. That was a BALL for 8
years, since the small merry band of engineers could do just about any type
of instrumentation design we wanted. I moved over to IT for the same company
10 years ago and got off the road. Been an amateur electronics junkie since
a kid.

Now I satisfy my curiosity, creativity and enjoyment studying what these
geniuses are creating here, trying to meet as many as I can eyeball, and
generally just 'keeping' this marvelous project stirred up. Looks like I
gotta be the devil's advocate again and start a flame war.

Sorry you asked?

Thanks

Eric

  _____