[hpsdr] I didn't think it would happen again "PING"

jeff millar wa1hco at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 22 07:04:16 PDT 2006

Murray Lang wrote:
> What I need are the TALENT and the TIME modules.
...don't we all...
> BTW, I realised that the phase shifting can't be done at I/Q level because
> that's just the modulation.
Not so fast. With most sampling schemes, anything can be I/Q. Another
way to say it, "meet the Nyquist rate and nothing is lost, all
possibilities remain".
> Would shifting the LO arbitrarily be any easier
> than the outboard scheme that I hinted at? Anyone?

With direct sampling, the LO doesn't exist in analog, it moves into the
DSP. In general, SDR uses digital because it make all forms of signal
manipulation easier. A beamforming system will definitely prefer to
process the signals in the DSP domain.

The biggest benefit of beamforming will be interference nulling rather
than gain. As you say, a few antennas can proved 6 dB of gain. But they
can provide multiple 30 dB nulls on strong interference.

The really cool trick comes when the DSP simultaneously form beams and
null to optimize reception of _all_ the signals. The receiver
effectively has multiple audio outputs, each optimized for a separate
signal.

The HF signals intercept people lay out an array of very short whips.
Short whip antennas provide an omni-directional receiving pattern. An
array of them laid out in two dimensions can form beams and null
interference in both azimuth and elevation. Transmit is a harder problem.
>> I suppose this could be done with four synchronised receivers transmitters,
>> with the phase adjustment performed at I/Q level. However, would it be
>> feasible to have  outboard units based on the LT2208, a D/A of some sort,
>> an FPGA and a big memory stick? I imagine the memory speed would limit such
>> a device to HF operation.

Present 802.11 data links have enough bandwidth to link a bunch of
remote receivers back to a central DSP. Image a small battery (solar?)
powered box with a whip antenna and an 802.11 USB dongle. Lay out as
many as you can afford around the neighborhood in a more or less random
pattern. Each receiver digitizes about 10 KHz of the band and links it
back on about 400 kbps of data rate.

The central DSP commands the receiver to tune to a selected section of
the band and provide both time and frequency references via the 802.11 link.

The advantage of this approach becomes economy of scale. The small
remote receivers get produced in enough quantity that costs come down.
The 802.11 link builds on existing massive consumer volume. Most of the
DSP remains in the single central location. The function of the remote
receiver remains rather simple and reliable, not likely requiring much
software or hardware revision.
>> Just a (apparently unoriginal) thought.

Yeah, that happens all the time. I went looking for information of
automatic beam forming and interference nulling and it's all over the
literature.