[hpsdr] I didn't think it would happen again "PING"

Murray Lang murray.lang at metoceanengineers.com
Tue Aug 22 18:54:05 PDT 2006

At 10:04 PM 22/08/2006, jeff millar wrote:
>>BTW, I realised that the phase shifting can't be done at I/Q level
>>because that's just the modulation.
>Not so fast. With most sampling schemes, anything can be I/Q. Another way
>to say it, "meet the Nyquist rate and nothing is lost, all possibilities
>remain".

OK. I can see that if all txs/rxs are fed from the same oscillator then the
fact that any modulation is possible, including phase, suggests that it can
be done.
I'd need to understand how a constant "DC" phase shift is represented in I/Q.

>>Would shifting the LO arbitrarily be any easier than the outboard scheme
>>that I hinted at? Anyone?
>>
>With direct sampling, the LO doesn't exist in analog, it moves into the
>DSP. In general, SDR uses digital because it make all forms of signal
>manipulation easier.

I guess that means a PLL with a phase adjustment input. I seem to remember
this has already been mooted for the synchronisation of multiple
geographically separated HPSDRs using GPS-locked clocks. Easier than
A/D->memory->D/A and without the same speed limitation I suppose. How would
that impact the noise performance though? If you can do it at the sampled
I/Q stage then you avoid the extra noise source.

I think an outboard A/D->memory->D/A unit would have some buyers though.
Nothing to do with SDR but it uses the knowledge gained.

>The really cool trick comes when the DSP simultaneously form beams and
>null to optimize reception of _all_ the signals. The receiver effectively
>has multiple audio outputs, each optimized for a separate signal.

You could put a spin on the beam too for scanning.
Repeaters could use it to home in on the transmitting station.
etc...etc...etc

Calibration would be an interesting exercise.

Murray