[hpsdr] [OT] MJPA soldering station $14

Cecil Bayona kd5nwa at cox.net
Sat Aug 26 19:53:09 PDT 2006

John Nordlund wrote:

> They are also offering a self contained hot air system for just $99 and
> change!
>
> 73 de AD5FU
>
> Ken N9VV wrote:
>>
>> wow, prices sure hit bottom - might be a good
>> buy for those doing SMT work:
>>
>> http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15860+TL
>> new tips are 1/32" for $1.95
>>
>> and they are selling 20awg 60/40 solder for $12.95
>> http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=4457+TL
>>
>> de ken n9vv

Here is an alternative low maintenance method for SMT soldering and
desoldering that works quite well. You can also buy small quantities of
soldering paste for Cash Olsen.

I bought the air embossing gun and the candle warmer from Hobby Lobby
for $12 while on sale, it seems to go on sale quite often. The candle
warmer is a bit larger that the one picture so it allows for bigger boards.

< http://www.zianet.com/erg/SMT_Soldering.html >

The air gun is quite handy for removing components from old boards, I've
used it to successfully remove isolation transformers from old modems.

For building a board I prefer using an oven but to repair or remove
components, the embossing gun is an inexpensive way to go that does a
good job.

< http://www.hpsdr.com/Public/Projects/SMT/SMT.html >

If you can afford it the hot air station has some advantages, but if you
can't afford one, there are low cost alternatives that work quite well.

It's good to have my PC back, Friday morning we had some thunderstorms
in the area, it woke me up when I heard my UPS make a bit of a racket.

I ended losing a 1400VA UPS, this computer had to have it's RAM and
video card replaced, and it's OS re-installed. Another PC will not run
Linux or run the installation CD for Windows or Linux without crashing,
welcome to the Mid-West. I need to get me a large Sola isolation
transformer.

--

Cecil
KD5NWA

"Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!"	Don Seglio Batuna