[hpsdr] Alternate serial configuration device on OZY

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 11:38:17 PST 2006

Hi all,

OZY can use either the 208 pin EP2C5 or EP2C8 Cyclone II.  The EP2C5
requires a EPCS1 serial configuration device (1M) and the EP2C8
requires a EPCS4 device (4M).  The EPCS1 costs $3.50 ea.  The EPCS4
costs $13.00 ea.

Take a look at the datasheets  for the ST M25P10 and M25P40 serial
flash memory and tell me that they are not compatible devices.  The
M25P10 (1M) is $1.79 ea and the M25P40 (4M) is $2.84 ea.

After convincing myself that they may be compatible devices, I ordered
both and tested them.  They both work perfectly.  I won't be paying
the high prices for Altera serial configuration devices anymore.  How
about you?

Phil N8VB