[hpsdr] PS3 support in Linux 2.6 - Cool!

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 06:41:41 PST 2006

Coupled with Ozy/Mercury,  and one mixer/frontend/tuner,    we could all
have SDR HDTV  in a few weeks of development and the Cell can handle it.
   The memory bandwidth between the cell and MAIN MEMORY (not cache) is
29 GB/sec.   The 8 SPE's  each supports 0.25 Terraflops and many jobs
can be spread across them.   The bandwidth to move data between these
elements is 250 GB/sec.    We need to figure out  if we plan to support
the PS3 in our plans,  how we get data on and off the Cell based
computer.   So far as I have been able to find,   the PS3 does not
support USB (as in doesn't have it).   It does have GigE.   But
Ozy/Mercury do not.  We have some impediments to overcome to use it with
out equipment.

Bob
N4HY

Philip Covington wrote:

> >From LinuxDevices.com:

> [Updated Dec. 7] -- Sony-contributed patches aimed at adding
> machine-specific features for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) have been merged
> into the stable 2.6.20 kernel tree. The patches should greatly
> simplify maintaining Linux kernels for the PS3, which is already
> supported by at least one Linux distribution.

---  snip  ---
> 73 de Phil N8VB

"If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the
corridor in the other direction. " - Dietrich Bonhoffer