[hpsdr] PS3 support in Linux 2.6 - Cool!

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 07:17:59 PST 2006

On 12/7/06, Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Coupled with Ozy/Mercury,  and one mixer/frontend/tuner,    we could all
> have SDR HDTV  in a few weeks of development and the Cell can handle it.
>    The memory bandwidth between the cell and MAIN MEMORY (not cache) is
> 29 GB/sec.   The 8 SPE's  each supports 0.25 Terraflops and many jobs
> can be spread across them.   The bandwidth to move data between these
> elements is 250 GB/sec.    We need to figure out  if we plan to support
> the PS3 in our plans,  how we get data on and off the Cell based
> computer.   So far as I have been able to find,   the PS3 does not
> support USB (as in doesn't have it).   It does have GigE.   But
> Ozy/Mercury do not.  We have some impediments to overcome to use it with
> out equipment.
>

> Bob
> N4HY

I wonder if the PS3 supports PCI Express?  I am working on a PCI
Express card for a work project that uses SFP fiber transceivers for
the card to card link.  I am able to move about 210 - 240 MBytes/sec
over the single link.

I am using a Altera Stratix II GX which is quite pricey (BGA with 1508
balls!), but PLX makes some PCIe to local bus bridge chips that would
work for a PCIe to fiber connection between a PC/PS3 to Mercury board.
 TI has a nice 1.5 Gbps serdes chip for the fiber transceivers.

Phil N8VB