[hpsdr] Janus Lives!!

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Mon Jul 3 10:39:36 PDT 2006

A typical receiver measurement in the ARRL labs consists of donig the
MDS in 500 Hz.  This is the correct measurement to ask for if we are to
compare the results to others.

If this were calibrated and we saw -159 dBm in 500 Hz ( the meter is the
integrated noise power in the 500 Hz bandwidth in PowerSDR),   then at 1
Hz,   if we could do such a filter,  we would get approximately 26.9 dB
less power in the 1 Hz bandwidth  (  10* log_10(1/500)).   This is below
the theoretical noise floor since 1 Hz cannot be less than that for room
temperature since this is not in a system, it is the naked A/D.  It
cannot be calibrated.  Gerald is right.

Bob