[hpsdr] Janus Lives!!

Ahti Aintila oh2rz.sdr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 11:59:38 PDT 2006

Hi All,

I wanted to repeat my earlier measurements with WaveTerminal 192X
using obviously the same method as Phil_H with Janus. See the picture:
<http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ahti/sdr-1000/OH2RZ_noise.png>
The test was made with carefully calibrated SDR-1000, PowerSDR 1.6.2.
The signal was fed directly to the sound card at IF-frequency at
calibrated level of -120 dBm. I put on PEAK and collected data about
10 seconds.

Please, understand that is a sound card test only, but PowerSDR is
used as a spectrum analyzer, because I have no better instrument. If
the radio is connected to the sound card the noise floor rises up to
-150 dBm/10Hz (or would 11.7 Hz be more accurate bin width value?).
This tells me that in order to reach the best sensitivity, I should
reduce the nois figure of the SDR-1000 by about 10 dB.

73, Ahti OH2RZ

For the Signal meter reading I cannot give any explanation, but the
readings of the "spectrum analyzer" I trust. Perhaps Phil_H will give
us some comment about my an his measurements.