[hpsdr] bypass caps

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
Fri Jul 7 01:09:36 PDT 2006

Dear All,

I'm reading a lot off discussions about the self-inductance caused by
PCB tracks and so on leading to capacitors. Using a large surface area
will lower the self-inducttance, true. However, instead of using a large
area (either bij large diameter (via's) or by using wide tracks) there
is another solution. Parallelling multiple "inductors", so instead of
using one big hole, a large numer of small holes (probably consuming the
same amount of baord-space) will give the same or a better result. The
same is true for parallelling multiple PCB tracks. This will give less
coupling capacitance to e.g. other tracks......

I did some research into ground-leads (part of an ESD protection
project) and it turned out that it was better to use a multicore (each
core insulated) cable than a "solid" copper cable with the same
diameter. The parallel inductance of the single thin wires together
turned out to give better performance than a very thick, not so
flexible, copper cable.
Hope this might add something usefull for the discussion/design. Good luck!

Best regards, 73's, Jeroen PE1RGE

Ray Anderson wrote:

>>.Thanks a million for the links to the papers Ray, they have been very
>>informative.
>>

>>One thing that I haven't come across is the size of the via (drill
>>

>size).  >I would think for the lowest impedance, you would want as large
>a drill >size you can have for the layout.  The same could be said for
>inductance, >the larger the drill, the lower the inductance.  Any
>thoughts on via sizes?
>

>>In the Xilinx app note, how did they calculate the percentages in Table
>>

>6?
>

>>- Steve N7HPR
>>

>Steve-
>
>The mounted inductance of a decoupling capacitor is comprised of several
>partial inductances: the intrinsic inductance of the capacitor itself
>(what the capacitor marketeers put in their databook), the vertical
>inductance contributed by the vias, and the horizontal inductance
>(spreading inductance of the planes).
>
>In the grand scheme of things the intrinsic inductance is pretty small,
>the vertical inductance is a smallish number too (unless you have a very
>thick stackup where it then becomes significant), the spreading
>inductance is a function of both the separation between the planes and
>the mounting pads escape geometry.
>
>So, yes you can minimize via inductance if you have a large hole in the
>via (since the majority of the current will flow on the outer surface of
>the 'pipe') however unless the stackup is pretty thick and stacked such
>that you need to descend deeply into the stack then the via contribution
>will be a relatively small part of the total inductance.
>
>Another thing to consider is that if you have a large diameter via drill
>you will also need larger diameter via pads and anti-pads. The larger
>anti-pads will effectively 'swiss cheese' the associated planes if there
>are a significant number of them and can increase the spreading
>inductance by as much as a factor of 3-4 X  (there ain't no free
>lunch!). Large diameter vias also can't be put real close together so
>you are limited in the ability to minimize the current loop size.
>
>>From a practical standpoint, to minimize decap inductance I've found it
>best to:
>
>	1) Keep the vias short (i.e. place planes near the surface of
>         The stackup)
>
>	2) Keep your mounting pad escapes close together and short
>(broadside
>         escapes work well)
>
>	3) Use multiple escapes and vias per pad.
>
>Regarding Table 6 in the Xilinx app note:
>
>	I think someone came up with those numbers empirically. I
>wouldn't put much stock in them. There are several ways to determine how
>many decaps you need. Rule-of-thumb tables aren't one of the preferred
>methods.
>
>See the following Designcon papers by Steve Weir and Scott McMorrow
>(terraspeed Consulting) for a good treatment of decoupling capacitor
>selection:
> [...]

Ing. Jeroen Bastemeijer

Delft University of Technology
Department of Electrical Engineering